Thursday, January 7, 2010

Everyday is Vegan Thursday!


Hello again! After yesterday's extremely long post, I thought I'd keep it simple today. I'll stick to food, that is :).

Since today is the first Vegan Thursday (announced by Chocolate Covered Katie), I decided to try some new recipes while also bringing back a favorite. And for me, everyday is Vegan Thursday! Wahoo!

On to the eats...

Since my strawberries usually like to hog all the attention, (anyone ever notice that my oatmeal pictures usually look the same, even though they're different? Not to point any fingers, but that would be because of the strawberries.) I took another "in process" photo.



Contrary to what it may look like, there really are peaches mixed in already, but I wanted to leave some to put on top. Maybe this is one of those "use your imagination" moments.



Again, it's imagination time! Anyone miss preschool yet? However, there is some unsweetened vanilla almond milk there, too. Like vegan peaches&&cream, right? No? Okay, well I thought so. Give a girl a little credit :P.

Snack picture-time! My snack is ready for it's close up. I had a piece of tofu and an apple. It was a strange snack, but exactly what I was craving (plus I thought the extra protein would be beneficial since I was going to eat dinner early because of yoga tonight.)



And of course, dinner. I made home-made roasted red pepper hummus and it was deeeelicious! I haven't enjoyed hummus for awhile (let's just say I ate an entire container when I first found out about my weight loss. I was so worried that I thought it would help. Unfortunately, it only made my stomach hurt.) so this was a nice treat.


There may or may not have been some spatula and finger licking going on ;)

I used my hummus in a grilled veggie sandwich (love) on ezekiel bread (love). I grilled fresh eggplant and zucchini, my favorite combination. The smooth-silkyness of the hummus really completed the veggies and crusty bread well. I also put some hummus on top, while eating. I think the hummus tasted different hot and cold, though I can't decide which I liked more. I guess I will just have to keep trying it, you know, for research.


one giant eggplant, coming up!

even this veggie loving girl couldn't grill all of it!

deconstructed

where'd the veggies and hummus go?


Here's the recipe so you can try it for yourself. I really hope you do because I wish you could experience the glorious taste of home-made hummus since my description does not do it justice. Smooth, tangy, and creamy do not even begin to describe it (although they are all true!)




Roasted Red Pepper Hummus for Two
Makes 1/2 cup (two 1/4 cup servings)
  • 7 tablespoons chickpeas
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons tahini
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3/4 of a green onion (I just used dried shallots from my favorite little spice shop)
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic (though of course I used more! you can never have enough garlic)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers (I used water-packed)
Simply whip out your food processor and blend until your hummus dreams come true (or until you can't wait any longer).

I'm off to finish making my lunch tomorrow and get some sleep (hopefully!) I'm staying positive and hoping for a snow day. Afterall, there must be a good side to all this snow, right? Oh wait, that's lovely tea and cute mugs. But still, a snowday would be quite nice...

Nightynight lovlies!


5 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Your food looks incredible. I love your fruit filled breakfast, but the real winner, for me, is your awesome sandwich. I LOVE a good sandwich and this is a combination I've never tried before. I need to get on it because it looks incredible. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! It's nice to know that I have another follower. Thanks for coming out and commenting on my blog. :)

    Now to answer your question: I decided to transition into a raw diet after being vegan for about 5 months. I realized that I was eating wayyyy too many processed foods and not enough of the good stuff - whole foods straight from the earth. My digestive system was also really out of whack. I had been reading a lot about the many benefits a raw vegan diet and how it has cured disease and sickness, helped to improve digestion, and give you a glowing and energized look. After reading all of that, I was hooked! I haven't been raw for a long time, but I can already notice the changes. My skin is much clearer, my digestive system is getting back to normal (this takes time), and my energy levels and satisfaction after eating a raw meal are stupendous. Not to mention, raw "cooking" is so much fun. I have learned a lot from it, too. Things such as sprouting, making raw nut milks, and hacking open a coconut were so foreign to me before. Now, I love the new adventure. It's really a great way of eating and living. I am in no way trying to persuade you to go raw, but it really does have its benefits. One thing I can tell you is that every body is different, so every body will take to different diets. If I were you, I would try adding a few raw meals/foods into your day and see how it works out. To avoid bloating and stomach issues, I suggest eating acidic fruits by themselves and make sure to give them 30 min. to begin digestion before you eat something else. Fruit digests a lot faster than grains, vegetables, and nuts/seeds, so it is important to eat your fruit first (preferably in the morning) so that it does not get backed up behind other foods and start to ferment, causing gas and bloating. Another good tip is to not eat at least 2 hours before going to bed. This will give your body plenty of time to digest your last meal. When you sleep, you want your body to essentially "shut down" so it can sleep as well.

    Whew, I know that was a lot to take in! Sorry! I just love this lifestyle so much and I hope you do try it out and see if it works for you. If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a comment or even an email. I would love to advise you. Thanks again for following my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that red pepper hummus looks so good! And I love that you portioned it out to serve two... I'm always left with tons of leftovers that go bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on my blog!! Eggplant is my FAVORITE vegetable in the whole wide world!!! You've already captured my heart :) Oh and I just made pumpkin hummus a few weeks ago with my stick blender--so easy.

    As for the kabocha squash? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on where you get it. Where I get mine, they sell berries year round so I'm assuming they would sell kabocha year round too? We'll have to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great eats :) Those oats are so colorful! I hope you are having a wonderful start to your week. Thanks for the comment-- you're so thoughtful :D

    ReplyDelete