Monday, December 6, 2010

Marshmallow Fluff in a Bowl

I must (finally) be on the mend because all I wanted this morning was a bowl of steamed carrots and fruit. Okay, so maybe that isn't exactly normal, but at least veggies are starting to sound good. Not to worry, I had my oat-fill last night anyway.


However, even these deliciously creamy pumpkin oats couldn't compete with what I had after. Three words, my friends. Marsh. Mallow. Fluff.



Some call it a banana soft serve, but my taste buds beg to differ. The consistency was far too fluffy and rich to be just a simple banana. Even I thought I was wrong!



I don't know whether it was the bunch of bananas, the way I froze it, or just simply the culinary gods smiling on me, but this bowl of outrageously good. Coming from someone who's usually not a fan of bananas, that's saying a lot.

(Side note: is it weird that I've had at least one banana every day for the last week, despite it being winter and them being VERY out of season? Usually my body thrives on in-season foods! It must just be Noro talking... or the Fluff. I vote for the Fluff.)



Whatever it is, I know the one secret ingredient that has me coming back for more. I love this vanilla powder so much that it almost gives vanilla the place in my heart that has belonged to chocolate for as long as I can remember. Almost.



But, seriously. This vanilla powder give an unparalleled vanilla flavor to anything I add it to. Every dash perfumes my kitchen and my taste buds alike. Please, if you ever see some around at the store (or even if you have to search high and low), buy it.

...Then you can make marshmallow fluff in a bowl for yourself. It's vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free (other than natural sugar in the banana, of course), and oh so simple to boot! But I don't really need to convince you. Just take a look for yourself!



Marshmallow Fluff in a Bowl 

Ingredients: 

  • 1 frozen banana (organic preferred---I really believe they taste better)
  • vanilla almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice (vanilla makes it extra delicious) 
  • Madagascar vanilla powder
  • cinnamon, for topping


Directions: 

     Freeze 1 banana in thin slices. Once frozen, put it in a food processor with a splash of almond milk and a generous dash of vanilla powder. Process until it becomes thick and creamy (the longer you proccess it, the creamier and more soft-serve like it will become.) Add extra almond milk, if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Eat (recommended: topped with cinnamon and oaties) or freeze for a few minutes (or even for much later).

(*Note: I tend to use lots of vanilla almond milk for the lovely flavor it imparts and to make it the mixture a little bit more soupy. This allows me to freeze it for a few minutes right after, thus creating a shell. I love breaking into the shell and finding the creamy marshmallow fluff underneath. Yum!)



Any other "marshmallow fluff in a bowl" lovers out there? I used to be skeptical (too sweet? no way!), but now I've definitely seen the light. What kinds of toppings do you like? And do you find yourself eating mostly in-season?

Have a lovely day!

xox,
Mandiee

No comments:

Post a Comment