Friday, December 31, 2010

Going Bananas for My First Blogiversary

Happy (almost) New Year!

Last night while reflecting on 2010, I decided to go to my first few blog posts. In doing so, I discovered that yesterday was actually my official blogiversary. I guess it was pretty appropriate that I had just baked a batch of special cookies. So, STAVE & my lovely readers, these peanut butter banana chocolate chip dough balls are for you. Thank you for being a creative outlet that has turned into so much more for me. And to all my readers, thank you for being there. Every comment and simple visit to my site mean so much to me. I am so grateful for this wonderful community and all the amazing people that make it what it is (bloggers and readers alike)!



2011 will be a year for many things, one of which being a super exciting switch to my own domain. Yes, my friends, Sweet Treats and Vegan Eats now has its own website! I hope you will all follow me there as I hope to start posting in the next few days.

This switch has been a long time in the making, and I have changed my mind more than a few times. With the new year approaching, I finally decided that the new blog would also mean a new start. Of course STAVE will still be a place for delicious food, but it will also be somewhat of a blank canvas.

But where would a painter be without inspiration? That's where you all come in. YOU are my inspiration. So what would you like to see? More recipes? More frequent posting? Yoga posts (I'm training to be a Registered Yoga Teacher)? Whatever it is, I would love your input!


And as a little thank you, here is a recipe for my adaptation of Mama Pea's Peanut Butter Dough Balls. I'm convinced Mama Pea can do no wrong, and this recipe is no exception. In fact, I'd go as far as to say any nay-sayers will be saying "I can't believe it's not vegan" in no time. Either way, these little doughy bites of heaven are delicious! For my adaptation, I used chunky peanut butter, mini chocolate chips, and chopped banana pieces for a little texture.



Chunk Monkey Cookie Dough Balls 
Makes ~2 dozen

  • 1/2 cup Earth Balance (or other non-dairy margarine) 
  • 3/4 cup natural chunky peanut butter 
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 cup powered sugar 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda 
  • 3/4 tsp salt 
  • 1 cup whole wheat pasty flour 
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
  • non-dairy milk to form a dough
  • 1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips (Whole Foods Bulk bin have the. best. My family always rave about them) 
  • 1/2 cup chopped banana (about 1/2 medium banana) 
Preheat oven to 350*F. 

In a stand mixer, beat Earth Balance, chunky peanut butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. 




In a separate bowl, mix baking powder, baking soda, salt, whole wheat flour, and all-purpose flour. (I recommend using a whisk to insure the whole wheat pasty flour stays light.) 



Add dry mix to the mixer bowl a little at a time. Mix until dough forms. You may have to add some non-dairy milk or oil to the bowl in order to make it form a pliable dough when cupped in your hand. 



I was using the dry peanut butter at the bottom of the jar (saving the good spread-able stuff for my grandmother who was kind enough to let me use her jar :D) so I added about 2 tsp of canola oil and 1/4 cup of almond milk. 



Add in chocolate chips either using the stand mixer or by hand. Mini chips are definitely recommended if not only because they make the cookies extra chunky, but for the fact that you get more chocolatey bites. Keeping them in an old pasta sauce jar is optional. 



Chop banana and fold in carefully.



Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Because I had kabocha in the oven taking precedent, I left it in the fridge over night. It worked like a charm :). 

Use an ice-cream scoop to form into equal balls. 



Roll them with your hands so they stay in there nice little ball-y shapes. Bake for 10-12 minutes for a cookie-dough center, and 13-15 minutes for a crunchier exterior with a doughy center. I made them both ways, and they were equally as delicious. 



When the cookies come out of the oven, let them rest on a cookie sheet for about 2-5 minutes (depending on how "done" you want them to be). 



Transfer to a cooling rack. 



Enjoy! 




What new things are you looking forward to in 2011? Have you made any resolutions? I have yet to think of my resolutions, but there will definitely be some! And have you tried cookie dough balls for yourself yet? Check out The Chic Life for basic chocolate chip, toffee, or butterscotch and Mama Pea for peanut butter or sugar/Christmas cookie flavors. 

Have a lovely day! 
xox, 
Mandiee







6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I love the name of your dough ball variation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess to yoga posts! One of my goals this year is to do more of it. So cool you're getting trained!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Looks so amazing!! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy blogiversary! Those cookies look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blogiversary! These cookies sound excellent. Peanut butter, banana, and chocolate is a winning combo always.

    ReplyDelete