Sunday, January 2, 2011

Quick Zucchini, Brussels Sprout, and Chickpea Stir-Fry

Happy 2011! How was your New Year's celebration? I basically just kicked back in my PJ's and fuzzy socks with a big ol' piece of kabocha while watching the concerts on TV. Clearly I'm quite the party animal. Watching the ball drop is a family tradition, but other than that, my night was low key. Do you have any New Year traditions? 

I definitely started 2011 out on the right foot thanks to all of your kind blogiversary wishes. I feel like I can't say it enough, but honestly, the blogsphere means so much to me that I just can't help but thank you again. Each and every one of you (bloggers, readers, and behind-the-scenes helpers) make this community as amazing as it is so keep doing what you do!

Although I could go on and on, I really popped in tonight to thank you (check!) and a give you a little quick-y recipe (almost check). You see, tomorrow I go back to school after a 2 week break so I have lots of stuff to do (not to mention some mental preparation). With so much on my mind, I could hardly decide what I wanted for dinner! However, since I had some zucchini and brussels sprouts in my produce drawer that were in need of a little love, my decision was simple.

Two words, my friends: Stir. Fry.


Stir-fries are so simple and adaptable. Change the ingredients&spices and you already have a completely different meal! Not to mention the few dishes they produce are a total bonus. I'm pretty sure I came up with this combination on a whim, but it has proved to be a favorite ever since. I can honestly say I ate it at least once a week for a few months straight. Somehow, though, it got out of rotation. Now that I finally decided to approximate my "pinch of this, pinch of that," I'm sure it's not going away any time soon.



Quick Zucchini, Brussels Sprout, and Chickpea Stir-Fry
Serves 1

  • minced garlic (I use A TON so I'll leave this up to you) 
  • 1 zucchini (or 1/2 zucchini and 1/2 yellow squash) 
  • 6 brussels sprouts
  • 1/2-3/4 cup chickpeas 
  • 1/2 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika 
  • 1/4 tsp rosemary 
  • 1/8 tsp thyme 
  • Braggs Liquid Aminos, to taste (I use about 1-1/2 tsp) 
  1. Steam zucchini and brussels sprouts until just tender (they will continue to cook in the stir-fry). 
  2. Meanwhile, sautee minced garlic in a non-stick pan until brown. 
  3. Add steamed vegetables, chickpeas, and spices. 
  4. Stir in Braggs, using it to deglaze the pan, if necessary. 
  5. Heat through and serve. 
Do you have a favorite stir-fry combination? I'm pretty convinced that Braggs, ginger, and garlic were meant to be together.

Well, I have some bag organizing and soup-making to attend to... 

Oh mirepoix, I love you. 


Have a lovely day! And to all my fellow students heading back tomorrow, good luck! 

xox, 
Mandiee

4 comments:

  1. My family's New Year tradition is for my dad to go out and shoot the gun as soon as it hits 12:00am. Nothing super fancy or interesting and we usually go to bed right after. Well, unless you're my sister or brother, they party. I partied last year but wasn't feeling it this year.

    Brussel sprouts in a stir-fry? I'm down with that! My favorite combination is.. well.. anything really. As long as it contains broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved to hear about your fun, yet low-key NYE!
    Your stir-frys look amazing :)
    I wish I could be trusted with a skillet!
    Hahaha.
    Happy 2011, M!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new years eve's are always chill too. I usually end up just watching movies with my family, I enjoy it though.
    That stir fry looks amazing I'm trying it soon as possible!
    by the way i'm new to the blog world and i'm glad i stumbled across yours because you have got great looking stuff on here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok this looks deeelicious! I had a low key NYE too :)

    ReplyDelete