Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Attachment Paradox

Hey y'all! Welcome to my new readers and as always, thank you to my loyal readers for keep coming back!

My yoga practice just a few hours ago really inspired me to write tonight's post on attachment. Some crazy things happened before class (such as shifting many times to make room and eventually just opening the other room despite the fact there were workmen painting), but it was actually the start of the practice that really stood out. For some reason or another, the stereo system would not cooperate so we had no other choice than to practice without music. Instead, we led ourselves through a few sun salutation A's and B's with only the sound of our breath as a beat.

To be quite honest, I didn't even notice the music wasn't playing until my teacher mentioned it; Afterall, I was extremely focused on the wave-like sound of our communal ujjayi pranayama. I could tell I was definitely in the minority with this view because all the students let out a groan when she desperately explained that the playlist she had spent 2 hours working probably would no longer be able to be heard. Long story short, the receptionist was able to fix the sound system. After about 20 minutes of internal music, familiar voices and a deep beat finally cut through the gentle breath.

Throughout the rest of the class, my teacher reflected on her dependance on the music. She admitted that she was extremely worried when it would not play but felt huge relief once it was back. She related it to how we can become so attached to things in our lives, such as schedules, ideas, material objects, and even people, that when something changes, we feel very anxious. She also reminded us that yoga can teach us to become less attached so that we might live more freely. I found this extremely ironic for myself because I realized that the thing I am most attached to right now is yoga itself.

You see, my yoga studio recently changed their system so I've had to cut back on how many times a week I can practice there. A change from unlimited (meaning 7 days a week for me) to 5 classes a week may not seem like much, but for some reason it has changed me completely. In every class I cannot help but think about how each passing second means one less second of beautiful practice for the week. It's probably silly to say, but I just wish time would stop when I'm there. My practice and the community at my studio have really become apart of me. Yoga has helped me change myself so much mentally and physically that it almost feels like I'm losing a bit of me. Now, though, I am able to recognize this as most attachment. So the question is: is attachment positive and "okay" in this situation? Or is it just apart of me?

Have you ever become so attached to something that it actually becomes apart of you? What was/is it?

Since I'll probably be spending my Saturdays and Sundays at the gym now instead of the studio, I'm pretty confused as to what to do. Do you have any tips for interesting workouts/treadmilling/ellipticaling/strength moves? What are your favorite things to do? I'm definitely a newbie to all of this and would appreciate any tips I can get!

*****

Anyway, let's get onto the food. I'll admit that I do get quite attached to my favorite combos, especially root veggie fries as of late.



 However, t's nice to change it up, too. On the non-attachment front, last night I decided to make myself some polenta after seeing Gabriella's delicious looking polenta lasagna. I will definitely be making this soon as it looks so delicious!

Yesterday, though, my broccoli polenta with marinara was a lovely stand-in. The little polenta x's, o's, and hearts were crunchy on the outside with a soft interior speckled with broccoli. It was so comforting and everything I hoped for.



While you can buy it pre-made in your grocery store (usually in tube form), polenta is so easy to make that you can just whip it up yourself. Not only will it be fresher, but more fun, too because you can customize it with whatever add-ins and spices you would like. I highly recommend broccoli and nutritional yeast like I did here.



Simple Cheezy Broccoli Polenta for One 


  • 1/4 cup polenta 
  • 1-1/4 cups water (plus more, if needed) 
  • 1 cup broccoli (or your favorite frozen veggie), finely chopped 
  • 1 TBS nutritional yeast, or to taste
  • salt&pepper, to taste
Bring water to a boil in a sauce pan. Once boiling, whisk in polenta in a steady stream. Add chopped broccoli, a pinch of salt, and nutritional yeast. The mixture should start to thicken. At this point, lower the heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Add additional (hot) water if needed to keep the polenta moist but still thick. Turn off the heat but leave the lid on for 10 more minutes. Transfer polenta mixture to a personal sized ramekin or other small dish (or mold) that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray or oil. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (I like an hour or so) to set. Remove from dish and bake a 400*F oven for about 40 minutes, flipping half way through. The cook time will vary depending on the shape used to mold and how crispy you like your polenta. Top with marinara sauce and nooch. Enjoy! 



Have you tried polenta before? If not, what are you waiting for?! My simple polenta is so easy to prepare. It might even motivate you to clean the house while you wait. Or do yoga. I'll go with the latter :). 

Have a lovely day! 

xox, 
Mandiee

2 comments:

  1. I think attachment is okay as long as it's healthy and not obsessive. When I experience "less" of something, I have to remind myself to make the most of the moments that I do have! It's not easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mandie, that polenta recipe looks incredible! I love anything with broccoli and nutritional yeast. Yum.

    I liked this post about attachment. I think that moderation is good in ALL things, regardless of what it is. If we're not careful, that good thing can overtake our lives and become an obsession. It's awesome that you love yoga so much, though. That's how I feel about my ballroom. :)

    ReplyDelete