Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Banana Identity Crisis (and Other BICs and LICs)

Heya loves :)! 

How's your week going? 

I'm thankful for almost 12 hours of sleep I got each night this past weekend. There's nothing like a little sleep to get you going! How many hours of sleep do you get a night? 

After Sunday night's shorter sleep sesh in comparison (only about 7.5 hours boo), I made myself a cozy breakfast and prepared for the week. Is anyone else still feeling the oats even though the weather's warming up? I think I will need new breakfast ideas soon since my lunch & dinner cravings are definitely showing the change. 

What are your favorite hot-weather breakfasts (or any meal for that matter)? 



Breakfast 


Even though this post is about BICs (Banana Identity Crises), I apparently had a bit of a Breakfast Identity Crisis as well. Have you ever had that feeling where you just can't decide what you want? Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so usually I have a plan. Yesterday, I did not. 

Without a ripe piece of fruit I could quickly chop up before my early start (come on, organic pears, ripen!), I decided it was time for a mish-mash. I always see Gina rocking the cherries so I picked some frozen ones up last week on an impulse. I also had some lovely strawberries that I decided would go nicely. 



The cherry-strawberry oats were good, but nothing to write home about. Oh well. It would have been nice if I could take a better picture, though. 




Lunch 


Apparently my BIC continued to turn into a LIC (l for lunch, of course). My lunch was good, but again, something seemed off. I made black eyed pea croquettes served wrapped up in cabbage with carrots. At least carrots never fail me.



Served like so [notice me trying to rescue my meal with dijon. Fail.]:




Pre-Yoga Snack 


Da da da da! (That's my lame attempt at theme music by the way. Work with me on this one.) Almond butter to the rescue! 


Who knew that all it took to solve my identity crises was a little almond butter, carrots, and ezekiel? Oh, and an apple, of course, but that's just assumed. Apparently almond butter has super powers. Well, maybe not, but it is super tasty. 



Dinner 


After all of my foodie fails in the morning, I decided I needed a little stability in my relationship eats. Thank you, Hugh Jass, for being there for me. I can always count on you to be delicious and satisfy my tummy. 



Oh, and Tempeh can stay, too, on the conditions of noochification. I think I see the beginnings of a new friendship.




Dessert 


Finally, the BIC you've all been waiting for (or not, but hey, it's the title so I'd like to pretend it's exciting.) 

First, let's review. This is a banana, right? [source] 



Right. Now how about soft serve? [source]



Good. And last, but not least, these are marshmallows? [source]



Perfect. But now that we've established all of that, what could this possibly be?! 

Three words. Banana. Soft. Serve

Yes, my friends, that is indeed Gena's famous Banana Soft Serve. I don't know how Gina managed to create such a revolutionary dessert, but she did. It tasted exactly like marshmallows to me. Apparently after all that blending, my bananas forgot who they were. How this is possible, I don't know. 



Soft-serve is honestly the only thing I sometimes miss being vegan. Fortunately, I love this recipe since it is both raw and vegan, with no added sugar! Score! Dare I say, it was too sweet for me?


Unfortunately, my tummy was not a fan. Bananas and I just don't get along. For some reason, I always get stomach pains or feel sick when I eat them. Sure, you could call me crazy for trying this anyway, but I could say the same if you didn't try this. Seriously. Make. This. Now. 




I won't be making this often, but if I need a fix, a little can't hurt. Lucky for me, my tummy wasn't too unhappy last night [not to mention I enjoyed the berries and cocoa powder very much! yum!]. I just need to remember not to challenge my tum; that's where I usually go wrong. 



Have you ever had a day of eats that just seemed a little off? I'm thankful for my favorites for fixing this, but it's still not very fun. What's your standby when you don't know what to have? 


Have a lovely [hump]day! 

xox, 
Mandiee



9 comments:

  1. YUMMY EATS GIRL!!!!!! all looks divine :)

    yea i think ive had many times where my eats seemed off. and when im not sure what to have i stick to the basics.. greens..beans.. protein.. fruit.. whole grains. otherwise i would be lost lol. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So been there with the BIC when it comes to breakfast. I hate not knowing what I want because breakfast is also my fav meal of the day. I'm not sure if I'll make the switch over to overnight oats with the warmer weather or not!
    And it's true - waht doesn't almond butter cure?!
    I love that banana soft serve. So good! Bummer bananas and you don't get along, though. I think I'd cry!
    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with all the veggies in your dinner. My kind of meal!! I've definitely had off days with food, but usually by the third fail I give up and go with some dark chocolate and a PB sammie!! Hope you have a great hump day girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the bananas don't sit well with you... I have to have at least one every day!

    My go-to meal when I'm cooking for myself: sweet potato, some kind of grain, steamed green veggie, baked tofu or salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh geese i have days like that all the time. But i have totally been riding the tempeh train and lovin it. I almost think i like it better than tofu... almost ;)

    Hmm on average i get about 7 hours of sleep a night, but i would like to get more i just dont have time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all of your yummy eats!!!! my to-go meal is usually hummus and grilled veggies in an Ezekial pita!!!!!! quick and satisfying!!!!
    xo aim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous of your sleep schedule! I consider anything over 6.5 hours a success... so sad. I know I need more, but my body just doesn't allow it!

    And I think I'll be eating oatmeal still through the summer- it's a craving that I've kept going strong for quite some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How in the world did you manage to get 12 hours of sleep?! I'm lucky if I make it to 8. :P Lately I've been managing on 6-7 hours.

    I get lots of days where my eats just feel off but usually there's at least ONE good meal or snack that is so perfect it almost makes up for the rest of the day. My never fail food is.. chocolate. Or my Oskri Coconut Bars. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the strawberry oats and cherry oats!!!!

    I love oatmeal even in the summer but I like overnight oats more, I like them cold!!!

    Too funny the story about the luna bar, lol!!!

    Hope you have a beautiful weekend girl!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete