Thursday, May 20, 2010

When Pigs Fly



Hello, Hello! 
[...you say goodbye, and I say hello...]

So maybe there were no pigs flying today, but I did pass my pig lab practical. After mucho hours of studying and a review sesh with the piggies last night, I think I finally got it down. I opted out of the lab dissection itself, but knew the review would be helpful. Luckily, J was there to help me by moving the organs around so I could see (Thanks, J! It seems like your EMT training really came in handy!) Wow, that's an unappetizing statement for a food blog. Don't worry, I'm almost done and then we'll move onto much better subjects. If you don't want to read my views on the pig dissection, feel free to skip the next paragraph. 

Anyway, here's my thoughts on the lab that I promised. Although I've literally been dreading this since 4th grade, I decided that I could suck it up in the name of education. My studies are my top priority, after all. However, a few days before, my science teacher told us how they get the fetal pigs for us to use. I won't go into detail, but basically they're the product of the slaughterhouse. They are taken from their moms who are killed and turned into meat for us to eat. I personally could not handle this fact because of my veganism and general love of animals. If women and children (especially pregnant women) are always put in high esteem in our societies (just think of war, when those are the two groups that are supposed to be protected), then why should pigs be any different? I do recognize the importance of education of the parts of the body and therefore was able to look at the pigs last night and today with studying in mind. I agree that this is a great training method for doctors and such, but I just didn't think it was right for me to do. Regardless, I do not resent those who did participate in it and definitely don't have the "holier than thou" attitude on it. That also goes along with how I feel about dietary and lifestyle choices in general, but that's another subject. Basically, I believe that you should do what feels right for you, remembering to embrace that everyone is different. 



But on a happier (and much more appetizing subject), I really enjoyed reading all of the foods you've been enjoying. Fresh is definitely the name of the game! Strawberries, mangos, kiwis, tomatoes, avocados, the greek stuff ... the list goes on and on! Yum-O! 




My love of berries is totally obvious thanks to my breakfast choice. By pulling on my wonderful stock of fresh fruit, I made triple berry swirl oats. Oh my, this was insane. 


Oh how I love you, cinnamon, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and golden flax seed!




I've been showing some veggie love as well. Just look at this bowl! It was practically overflowing with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, and millet


All I did was spice it with a pinch of allspice and cinnamon. These veggies are so good that they speak for themselves. 


Have you ever not known what to eat but know you're craving a certain food group? Do you just eat that or try to balance out your meal? That was my exact dilemma tonight. I knew I wanted veggies, and LOTS of them. My "protein" options (I used quotes because veggies actually do have quite a bit of protein) didn't sound nearly as good as a bowl full of veggie and grain goodness, so I went with it... and I'm SO glad I did!



However, last night I wanted some dense protein before my review sesh. Enter tempeh. I made a marinade with mango-pineapple juice, freshly grated ginger, minced garlic, Braggs Liquid Aminos, a little cardamon and hoped for the best. 


My praying paid off because this was delicious! I served it up with millet (yes, I'm obsessed), green beans, asparagus, and a little wedge of kabocha (LOVE). This was the perfect studying fuel.




Speaking of protein, I should also mention my love of infatuation with chickpeas. I. Love. Chick. Peas. Really, that's an understatement. I made a batch of chickpeas (1 cup dry) and ate a third of the batch as a snack. I'm not kidding, my friends. I just pooped them straight up. As fun as that was, I knew they would make any meal amazing as well. However, I never imagined this. 


So. Good. Who knew throwing together little leftovers of salads and such could taste so good? I really should know this by now but it never gets old. In the wrap: chickpeas, carrots, green leaf lettuce, and spinach on a sun-dried tomato wrap. I also had some overflow and green beans. My wrapping skills obviously could use some improvement, but for now a pan to sear the edges closed and some tooth picks will do. 




I also tried a new flavor of Larabars. Ever since I tried my first Lara, I've been on the hunt for a Chocolate Mint Jocalat. Finally, one day I found some and snatched a few up. I'll admit I'm a total saver and like to keep my favorite things until it seems like the right moment. I'll even try to make them last longer. Does anyone else save favorite things for special occasions or prefer certain dishes?


As you see, I couldn't wait any longer. Unfortunately, it let me down a bit, though it was definitely delicious. As many other bloggers have warned, the mint flavor isn't very pronounced. I love the combination of mint and chocolate so it wasn't enough for me. Luckily, though, it redeemed itself when I warmed it up in the microwave. Just like a Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookie

If you've made it through this post, I thank you. I guess it's no surprise that I enjoy typing and sharing my eats with you. I'm just so glad to be apart of this community and would really like to express my gratitude to you all for reading (or just looking at pictures, really). 

Unfortunately, as school is drawing it's end, I've been super busy. I'm definitely ready for the weekend! What are your plans? It's time to do a little more homework and get a little snack-y before bed. I see some mango in my future. 

On that note, I'll leave you with one more picture. Can you guess what happened? Details to come. 




Have a lovely night! 

xox, 
Mandiee

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you ended up doing what you felt right :)

    My wrapping skills need some help too lol. I try to cram too much stuff in there and it never closes!

    *Yikes* on the last picture. Hope you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh jocolat mint is one of my favs!!! i do save things (bars especially) i keep them in the fridge until special occassions or when i know i want to pair it with a certain food and such!

    i loved ur views to the pig dissection, i think u bring up some good key points and i really respect your decision! <3

    i'll take a guess and say u hurt ur hand doing something that involves cooking..? either way it doesnt look fun! *virtual kissed it better* hehe. interested in hearing what happened!!! hoping u say "oh im super woman and was just scaling a building to save an old woman from a fire!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg please take care of that arm...yikes, hugs hon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there - lovely eats - i too have been enjoying lots of fresh berries - i love this time of year. Glad you were able to do what your heart felt was right in regards to the pig lab!!!!
    Hope your hand is OK!!!!!! Have a great weekend - i plan on soaking up some sun - the weather forecast looks perfect!!!! xoxo aim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then you must try Wild Bar in the mint flavor. They are so minty and SO GOOD :) also yes I do crave the most random food groups sometimes XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about your arm!! And I think it's admirable that you did what felt right for you with the whole pig thing. I see so many people on a millet kick, I must try it!

    And thank you so much for the yoga encouragement, that made me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never could have dissected the pig. I'm so squeamish, and combined with my hatred of slaughterhouse practices, I can totally see where you're coming from!!

    Love those Jocalats too- they're way crumblier than regular Laras though, so I never eat them in the car!!

    I'm going to guess your hand involves cooking and knives? Ouch, I hope you're okay!!

    Have a great Friday love!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with your opinion on the pid dissection and I don't think I could handle it really! I haven't had that mind jocolat but I love the regular chocolate ones like choc hazelnut and german choc cake. They aren't too pronounced in flavor but just chocolate is good with me!

    I definitely just crave veggies sometimes and don't always add a significant protein source since I feel that as long as I eat enough during the day, I am alright.

    Hope the injury is nothing too awful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bean popper too! Eating them as a snack is delicious and so tasty although definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

    I wouldn't have done the pig dissection either because like you, I don't believe it's right. When my class did the pig dissection I skipped the class. Since I have no desire to be a doctor or anything I didn't feel the need to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your berry oats look fabulous - love all those berries!! As does that veggie-packed dinner. I try to hit all my nutrients - protein, carbs, veg, at a meal - but if i'm not feeling a lot of protein i don't worry about it. Sure, I'll try to throw in some tempeh maybe, but I figure I'll just get hungrier earlier than usual and have something later, you know? Usually this only happens when I've already had a fair bit of protein throughout the day already, though.
    And i think chickpeas are my favorite legume, hands down. They can be made into anything!! I almost went through three cans this week, but had to restrain myself :P
    And I am TOTALLY like you in that if I can't find something, I save it until the moment is JUST right. Bummer about the jocolat, though!! Although i'm sort of relieved to hear it since i can't find them anywhere. i would want mint overload, not choco overload ;)
    alright - i'm ending this novel now! haha, sorry about that. but i hope your hand is okay and you didn't endure any awful kitchen nightmare!!

    ReplyDelete