Sunday, October 3, 2010

Squash Rehab

Heya :)!

I am glad to hear you are all enjoying fall food just as much as I am. While there are so many great ones to choose from, it seems that winter squash is the unanimous winner. It definitely ranks number one in my book!

I usually hesitate to throw around words such as "best" or "favorite" since I love so many different kinds of food, but squash is my exception (and, uhem, a certain muffin). Hands down, winter squash is my favorite food. Now I know that is a pretty bold statement, but you are just going to have to trust me on this one. My squash consumption is out of control! My step dad even joked that he would have to send me to "squash rehab." But what can I say, when cravings hit, you just have to roll with them, orange hands and all.

Seeing Libby's pumpkin around the blog world spurred some curiosity. For the longest time, I was convinced that I was allergic to pumpkin because pumpkin pie always left me feeling woosey and lightheaded. Turns out it was probably just all that heavy cream and sugar. Finally able to enjoy the pumpkin I feared for so long, I finally gave in and tried Libby's for myself.


I deemed it delicious, but not quite as good as buttercup or kabocha. That being said, I should admit that I could not stop eating it. Spoonful after spoonful, the can seemed to disappear. What can I say, I may be a squash snob, but I love it all just the same. Before I demolished the whole thing, I decided to make some fall-inspired soft serve.


Spiced Pumpkin Soft Serve
adapted from Oh She Glows

  • 1 frozen banana (cut into chunks prior to freezing) 
  • 3 TBS pureed pumpkin 
  • 1 TBS almond milk 
  • 1/2 tsp molasses (for a little added nutritional punch)
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice


Directions: 

Combine all ingredients in a food processor until fluffy and creamy. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!


It was like eating chilly pumpkin pie in a bowl. Except this time, it was minus the headache. Thank you, Libby's, for showing me the goodness of what I have been missing!  



While this was pretty tasty, it barely put a dent in my squash cravings. Remember what I said about squash rehab? Well, maybe J was not joking after all. ;)

And so the return of the buttercup began...


I have no shame in admitting the fact that this meal was all about the squash. With simple baked tempeh, steamed veggies (broccoli, zucchini, and brussels sprouts), the buttercup easily took center stage.

That is, until this showed up...


What can I say? Kabocha will always reign supreme. Always. I have had such a hard time finding them that I almost forgot how superior they really are. When slow-roasted, kabochas are super sweet and smooth as buttah. You can even see the natural sweet juices that started to collect as it baked!

The tell-tale sign of a kabocha is a smooth button bottom, rather than the traditional buttercup cap. HEAB did a great post on differentiating them here if you are curious or in search of a kabocha of your very own. Trust me, you will never go back.

Especially if you bring coconut butter to the mix. Oh my...


I have no words.

One of my yoga teachers told me that because of my personality and energy (according to Ayurveda), winter squash is one of the best things for me to eat, especially because it is soothing in high-stress times (like now... Hello, junior year!) Well I clearly have no problem with that!


And lucky for me, squash is also quite the nutritional power house. According to The World's Healthiest Foods, it "an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene); a very good source of vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber and manganese; and even a good source of folate, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B1, copper, vitamin B6, niacin-vitamin B3 and pantohenic acid." Wowza, talk about a long list of goodness!


It is even found to have anti-cancer effects and protect against diabetic heart disease. Seriously, is there anything it cannot do?! 





On that note, I will leave you all so you can find some winter squash for yourself (preferably buttercup or kabocha if you have not tried it yet.) Squash may be a strange craving, but I cannot say I am complaining. If given a choice of one food to eat for the rest of my life, there would be no question as to what it would be.

How have you indulged in your cravings lately (food or otherwise)? And if you had to choose one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? 


Have a lovely day!

xox,
Mandiee

7 comments:

  1. I love that I am reading this as eating some roasted butternut squash...gotta love it! Oh, and I have never gotten a kabocha so obviously this needs to change ASAP!

    I probably could eat dark chocolate the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember back when I "didn't like squash," I saw a kabocha and thought "hey, I think this is the squash that is always talked about on blogs!" and passed it up.
    This winter, of course, I can't find them, at least not yet! I've finally decided I do love squash. I had a buttercup for the first time recently - loved it! It's a toss-up for favorite - that or butternut. I'd love to try a kabocha.
    Thanks for all the great info, too! I love reading about health benefits of foods I enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am living off of squash these days and am completely okay with it. A kabocha can feed me for 3-4 meals.. I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you and me have both been having MAJOR squash cravings!! whats going on with us. mmm its like i cant get enough! clearly its good for us tho, so happy squash eating gorgeous <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh I need squash rehab too! Haha I love pumpkin and also roasted acorn squash. One for for the rest of my life? Oatmeal!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're finally able to enjoy pumpkin! You should try it in oatmeal - your life will never be the same. ;)

    I love kabocha, but I've never tried buttercup. I'm curious to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl you know I'm all about the squash! I had half an acorn with pb for dessert tonight.
    I think its important to feed your cravings but to include a variety of foods in your diet as well.

    ReplyDelete