Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wrap it Up

Hi Lovebugs!

How was your Sweetest Day? I am never sure how I feel about it; is it a "Hallmark Holiday" or just another cute opportunity to show love? Sweetest Day or not, I am all about spreading the love, so I suppose one more day devoted to that is just fine with me. However, I should admit that I did not even know Sweetest Day was today until my mom casually mentioned why she picked up a special treat for her husband. Good thing I spent the day with the ones I loved.

Oh yeah, and I might have also baked them vegan cranberry orange scones...



Speaking of how I "celebrated," today was filled with quality grandmother time centered around something we both love: food. How, you ask? Enter the Farmer's Market:


Yes, I really did buy a GIANT stalk of brussels sprouts. And in case you were wondering, I fully intend on eating them all... very, very soon.


For $3, instead of $6 at the store, and about a plastic-grocery-bag-ful of sprouts, it was a total steal. Credit for this one goes to my grandmother. She introduced me to brussels sprouts and we have shared a love of them every since. Not to mention, my love of food probably would not be so passionate if it were not for her nurturing my love of baking and cooking from a very young age.

Spending the day with her was so fun and refreshing; she is really trying to teach me to take time for myself and I definitely feel better already! I got to enjoy being with my amazing grandmother at one of my favorite places, and even enjoy this:


I would say it was one winner of a day.



Roasted Kabocha, Broccoli and Chickpea Wrap

Ingredients: 

  • 1/2 roasted kabocha squash 
  • 1 cup steamed or roasted broccoli
  • 1/2 cup chickpeas 
  • 1 brown rice tortilla 
Directions: 

1. Roast kabocha squash. (My caramelized, slow-roasting method is to come!)
2. Roast or steam broccoli until very tender (almost falling apart).
2. Roughly mash chickpeas. 
3. Warm brown rice tortilla in the microwave for ~20 seconds or until pliable, making it easier to form a wrap. 
4. Mash roasted kabocha until it is smooth, adding water to thin if necessary for a pureed consistency. (I did not have to do this because my slow-roasting method produces a silky consistency.) 
5. Spread mashed kabocha on the brown rice tortilla. Top with broccoli and slightly mashed chickpeas. 
6. Wrap it up! (Or alternatively, eat it open-face like a pizza.) 


I cannot even tell you how much I swooned over this. The sweet and creamy kabocha was absolutely perfect with the soft broccoli and textured chickpeas. I think it really all has to do with preparing the ingredients the  right way (and with love, of course!) Fresh foods take on so much flavor when they are handled with care. The proof is in the taste! 


Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. 


What is one thing that you like to eat au natural? 


Have a lovely day!

xox, 
Mandiee




5 comments:

  1. I bought a brussels sprout stalk today too! I was super pumped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great recipe
    great STALK of brussles!

    and i just left another blog right before i came to yours and heard about sweetest day. 30 secs ago. had no clue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, you found brussels on the stalk! I just realized I didn't get back to you about where I got them and it was Eastern Market! I love them simply roasted with some oil, salt, pepper, and herbs like rosemary and thyme.

    I just finished my last brown rice tortilla today...you just reminded me I need to get some...I love to microwave them right before to get them nice and flexible.

    Scones look delicious lady!

    Au natural...I love apples most au natural.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and I didn't even know about sweetest day until I moved to MI...too bad my boy flew out today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wrap looks SO delicious!! I wish I had everything on hand to make it! Love the huge stalk of brussels too =P

    ReplyDelete