Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Three Little Words

Guess what?

You are beautiful. 

...

Yes, you

And guess what else? 

...

You are amazing just the way you are.

.....................

Today is the official launch date of Caitlin's book, Operation Beautiful, and I could not be more excited. I initially found out about the website Operation Beautiful through different bloggers who have participated in Caitlin's cause.

It seems that no matter where we go nowadays, there is some sort of pressure to be a certain way, be it in appearance, personality, or even the choices we make. In a world full of stick-thin models and an abundance of advertising promising no this or no that, it is hard not to get involved. Sometimes it seems as though the subliminal messaging never stops! Luckily, Operation Beautiful is on a mission to end negative self talk, one sticky note at a time.   



Though Operation Beautiful initially started with a focus on ending "fat talk," it has expanded to so much more thanks to all of its contributors. I believe that negative self talk has a lot to do with personal choices. 

[Muffin sundae made with a chocolate muffin, strawberries, and a cherry on top]

Only a year ago, I followed the herd with my friends and was afraid to discover who I really was with my family. I felt pressured to be a certain way around these people, especially because I loved them very much. I though that by taking a road less traveled, I would be dissappointing them. 

[Roasted kabocha, roasted mixed veggies, and kale chips]

I decided one day that I would make a small change. For many years, I knew in my heart that I wanted to be a vegetarian. Something just clicked with me. However, not all my loved ones agreed. Long story short, my little adventure down a new route did not go so well. Even my Dad fought it!

[Millet and Cheeze with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, avocado, and roasted red pepper]

Lucky for me, my mom was there by my side. She supported me though this decision and many more to come. Saying it was not easy is definitely an understatement. However, sometimes just hearing that you are loved no matter what is enough to get you through. 


[The sandwich "that might change your life": an Ezekiel english muffin, avocado, roasted kabocha, and zucchini]

I struggled with my first decision as the true Mandiee, but did not let up. Those 3 little words said by my mom, "I love you," kept me going. Since then, I have been able to really explore who I am. As you can see by my blog, I made the choice to become vegan and practice yoga. Honestly, I have never been happier.  

[Millet and tofu stir fry with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and brussels sprouts]

Just three little words can make a world of difference. What will yours be?


You. Are. Beautiful. 
xox, 
Mandiee


P.S. Sweet Treats and Vegan Eats is getting quit a makeover right now! If any of you had trouble accessing the website this weekend, never fear, things should be up and running now. Speaking of which, I finally made the Wordpress switch. More details are to come, but for now, I am excited to have some packing to do for a little getaway...


7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had your mom for support while you were finding out who you are. I don't know where I'd be without my mom's support, that is for sure!
    Very excited for your "move" - you will love wordpress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha so I have to change my links soon...;p

    I love the muffin sundae name, so cool. And those roasted veggies! You have some of the most beautiful veggie dishes out here.

    Your mom sounds awesome. Probably a beautiful woman like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh yum! lol!!! and thank you for the encouraging words : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. if im beautiful, you are GORGEOUS! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I love Operation Beautiful. Spread the love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU are beautiful too! We all are! I loved this post and reading about how you fought to be your true self even though you didn't always have the support of your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was beautiful! I loved reading about your path & thanks for spreading the word about O.B. :)

    ReplyDelete