Sunday, April 18, 2010

Skinny (Mandiee) in the Kitch

Hello, Beautiful People! 

How was your weekend? Mine was loaded, but totally worth it. I stayed up late, woke up early, and partied all night day long. I won't lie, waking up early is one of my least favorite things to do, especially after staying up late, but I just couldn't bear not to catch up on some reading (blog, mostly, duh). With my 16th birthday coming up next Sunday (April 25th is so soon, wahoo!), I was glad to celebrate early in style.



I started out Saturday with a trip to the farmer's market. It was really chilly (it even snowed a bit on the way there--oh no!) but my grandmother finally decided to come along so I enjoyed it.  



Oh, and speaking of beautiful people like yourselves, guess who spoke at Veg Fest today (pretend I didn't tell you in my last post)?


Rory Freedman! She was such a compelling speaking, and gorgeous to boot. I could tell that everyone in the audience was honestly glued to what she was saying, meat-eaters, vegetarians, and vegans alike. I couldn't help but keep nodding my head in approval, smiling and laughing, and even wondering "um, can I be you in like 10 years?" Yeah, she's basically my new role model. 

Have you read Skinny Bitch (or any of her other books)? I haven't yet, but I can assure you that will be a lie in about a week. My grandmother was kind enough to buy me the box set of Skinny Bitch and Skinny Bitch in the Kitch on the spot. Thanks, Nan! I know how my free time will be spent in the next few days. I've heard some controversy over this book, but after hearing Rory speak today, I think I understand it a bit better. Mostly I've heard that it comes off as harsh, but she is so genuine that I know she is just wants to help. Love it or hate it, this girl's done her research! (Again, can I be her? Career path: chosen!) 

I had so much fun talking with her after her speech and she even signed my new books. I could tell she was really down to earth and I admire what she is trying to do with her books. She also wrote the sweetest message in my books. Thanks, Rory! 










As you can see below, my camera was spazzing a little for this part. No matter, I will always have this positive memory to remind me of my day and meeting her. After her speech, she encouraged us all to make a pinky-pledge if we so chose. I'll keep you hanging on what my family members promised for now, but I can tell you that I am very excited. 



The rest of Veg Fest was my total paradise. Unfortunately, the crowds were so big I couldn't snag any photos. Never fear, my swag bag tells the story pretty well. With all my goodies and flyers, I haven't been able to completely sort it all out yet. I'll make sure to get some photos up tomorrow so stay tuned. 


The good eats this weekend weren't limited to Veg Fest, though. I got the baking bug (but really, when don't I have it?!) and decided to remake a favorite. With the help of this lovely lady and her cookbook (Isa can do no wrong, my friends), I make veganized Girl Scout Samoas. 











I gave half a batch to my yoga teacher and her kids, who I have become quite good friends with. She is vegan as well so I knew she would appreciate being able to have Samoas again. Sometimes it's nice to be around individuals who have made the same choices as you. As I side note, last Thursday she told me that with all of the contributions I've made with spreading awareness of veganism at my school and dedicatedly practicing yoga, I'm already a yoga teacher in her mind and truly living the yoga way of life. This was one of the nicest complements I've received and was honored. 




But back to the cookies. Everyone who tried these raved about them. I gave a few extras to the receptionist at my yoga studio and she ate all 4 of them while I was in yoga. A few of the other yogis in my class asked me all about them. I guess they were a hit. If you have Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, please make this recipe. It's easy to make and oh so worth it. And if you don't have it, please consider buying it or borrowing it from a friend or the library. You won't be disappointed. Again, Isa can do no wrong. 



It's been a busy but exciting weekend. Unfortunately, my school work is now catching up with me and I must be off. Thanks to all of your wonderful feedback, I decided that my monster posts were just that: a little terrorizing. I love receiving comments from you all and take all of your words to heart. I have so much good food that I would like to share with you that my posts will now be more frequent. I cannot express to you how much you all mean to me. I love being apart of a community of individuals who are truly inspiring and compassionate, unique in their own way. 

Have a lovely day!

xox, 
Mandiee

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love Samoas! Send me some please! Haha, just kidding. :)

    That's so awesome that you got to meet Rory. She is hilarious! I have some of her workout videos.

    That is the first time I have seen a picture of you. Wow, you look a lot older than I pictured. Very cute outfit and you are gorgeous, darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lucky that you got to meet Rory!! I love that book- a lot of people think it's rude and extremist, but hey, it gets people to pay attention. I still eat animal products occasionally (in dishes when I'm eating out, mostly), but I definitely think she makes a lot of valid points. Those Samoas look awesome, I need that book! Hope you have a great day love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I heard so many mixed reviews about that book! ''Don't read it!'' and ''Must read it!!''

    I also thought you were younger!! I don't know why...maybe because your blog has a 'fresh and sunshine' feeling that teenagers have, you know? Like the cute bowls and stuff like that :D

    Those cookies look yummy!! They look like they are from a bakery!

    xoxo
    Vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky! Skinny Bitch was the book that made me go vegan, i would love to meet Rory some day! :)

    ReplyDelete